Oct 05 2015
Along with the huge amount of beets my mom brought up with this year’s harvest, she also brought tomatoes, an eggplant, and a whack of other yummy goodies. I could tell the tomatoes and the eggplant were just dying to be together, and I had some chicken in the fridge that might just help them do that. The eggplant took me in the direction of something a little more exotic, and with just the right spices, all the way to Morocco!
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs $3.32
- 4 skinless, bone-in chicken legs $3.32
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (1 full can, drained) $1.29
- 1 large eggplant, unpeeled and cut into 1″ cubes $1.19
- 1 cup water Free!
- 6 tablespoons olive oil, divided $0.24
- 6 large garlic cloves, minced $0.06
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice $0.66
- 1 tablespoon paprika $0.48
- 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram, chopped $0.25
- 1 teaspoon salt $0.01
- 1 teaspoon turmeric $1.13
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander $0.16
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds, ground $0.18
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper $0.01
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin $0.12
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger $0.10
- 1/2 cup slivered or chopped almonds, toasted $0.55
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped $0.30
Total cost $13.37
Cost per serving $3.34
1.) Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large wide pot over medium heat.
2.) Add onions and garlic. Cover and cook until onions are soft, about 10 minutes. Add paprika, salt, tumeric, coriander, fennel, pepper, cumin, and ginger; stir for one minute. Add tomatoes, water, and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
3.) Arrange all chicken in a single layer in a pot; spoon some sauce over it. Bring to a boil.
4.) Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 15 minutes.
5.) Turn chicken over, cover again, and simmer for another 20 minutes, or until chicken is tender.
6.) While chicken is cooking, preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Brush a large rimmed baking sheet with olive oil, or cover with parchment paper. Place eggplant and 4 tablespoons of olive oil in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread eggplant out on prepared baking sheet and bake until soft and brown, stirring occasionally, about 25 minutes.
7.) Stir eggplant and marjoram into the chicken. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes to heat through and blend flavours.
8.) Taste and adjust seasoning with more lemon juice, salt, and/or pepper if desired. Transfer chicken to a large shallow bowl, spooning the sauce over top. Sprinkle with almonds and cilantro.
9.) Serve and enjoy!