Aug 16 2016
If there’s anything I’ve learned from all my time in restaurants, it’s that leftovers make for a great soup. For this one I used the Butternut Squash Macaroni and Cheese that was such a big hit in our house, and just regular old breakfast sausages. After just a few more additions, we all slurped away on a soup that was hearty and delicious, and had us all refilling our bowls for seconds.
- 1 onion, diced $0.47
- 1 large carrot, diced $0.17
- 2 stalks celery, diced $0.26
- 3 cloves garlic, minced $0.03
- 2 cups cooked macaroni $0.44
- 4 sausages, cooked and thinly sliced $1.37
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, with juices $2.58
- 3 cups chicken stock $1.50
- 1/2 cup frozen peas $0.25
- 3 tablespoons olive oil $0.09
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme $0.80
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano $0.60
- 1 tablespoon dried basil $0.82
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce $0.08
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce $0.05
- Salt $0.01
- Pepper $0.01
Total cost $9.53
Cost per serving $1.19
1.) Place a pan over medium heat and allow to preheat. Add the oil and then wait for the oil to also get hot. When both the pan and the oil are hot, add the onion, carrot, celery, and garlic. Stir to coat everything in the oil, then cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables just begin to soften.
2.) Add the cooked sausage and the dried herbs and stir. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes.
3.) Add the diced tomatoes and the chicken stock and bring everything to a boil.
4.) Add the macaroni, the frozen peas, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt, and pepper. Bring the soup back up to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes. Taste, and adjust seasoning if necessary.
5.) Serve and enjoy!